Candidates serve alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages to restaurant and bar patrons. They may serve beer and wine, make classic drinks and be experienced in creating new recipes for cocktails. Mixologists are also responsible for ensuring that their bars run smoothly and efficiently.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that bars are stocked with glasses, garnishes, drink mixes and ice.
- Responsible for processing cash and credit card payments from customers and verifying that patrons are old enough to drink before serving them alcohol.
- Keeping the bar neat and clean.
- Mixologists might be asked to set up bars before they open and perform closing procedures at the end of business hours.
- Ideal candidate must have a high school diplomas, or greater.
- Mixology courses offered by community and technical colleges are desirable but not disqualifying.
- Candidates must be 21 years of age or older to qualify for this position.
- Friendly personalities and good customer service skills.
- Knowledge of human behavior, excellent communication skills, the ability to stand behind bars for long periods and repeatedly lift materials weighing anywhere from 10-50 pounds.